COVID-19 updates: Free vaccine clinics
Nicole Joy Frethem, District 1
For more than a decade, Nicole has worked to ensure children in Ramsey County and Minnesota have access to high-quality child care arrangements and parents are able to find healthy and safe child care so they can work. Nicole has previously worked as a child care administrator and early learning coach before transitioning to implementing, developing and analyzing statewide child care policy at the Minnesota Department of Human Services. In her work, Nicole has seen the importance of all the systems that support families and people beyond the classroom. She is passionate about streamlining human services delivery, partnering with local and state governments to provide better services, and criminal justice reforms.
As a law student, scheduled to earn her JD in 2022, she is focused on alternative dispute resolution theory and practice, with an emphasis on restorative justice practices.
On the Ramsey County Board, Nicole serves as the Chair of the Health and Wellness Service Team Committee of the Whole, Vice Chair of the Safety and Justice Service Team Committee of the Whole in addition to serving on all other committees of the whole, the Ramsey County Housing and Redevelopment Authority and the Ramsey County Regional Rail Authority.
As commissioner, she serves on several outside boards and committees including:
- Community Action Partnership of Ramsey and Washington County, Board Vice President.
- GenerationNext, co-chair of the leadership committee policy workgroup.
- Ramsey County Extension Committee.
- Recycling and Energy Board of Ramsey and Washington County.
- Metro Conservation Districts Joint Powers Board.
- Metro Alliance for Healthy Families Home Visiting Governing Board.
- Pritzker Early Childhood Initiative.
- Association of Minnesota Counties District X Committee.
- National Association of Minnesota Counties Large Urban Counties Caucus.
- National Association of Minnesota Counties Arts and Culture Commission.
- State Advisory Subcommittee on Children’s Mental Health.
- Northeast Youth and Family Services Board of Directors.
- Ramsey County Children’s Mental Health Collaborative
- Suburban Ramsey Family Collaborative – Joint Powers Board
- County-Court Joint Committee
- Court House/City Hall Committee
- Law Library Trustee
- Metro Mosquito Control District Board
Nicole lives in Shoreview with her family. She enjoys crafting of all kinds; nerdy TV, movies, and books; Shakespeare, and visiting Ramsey County dog parks with her dogs Iorek and Tsunami.