Harassment Restraining Orders

Contact us

Anyone seeking a Harassment Restraining Order (HRO) must contact the Ramsey County Domestic Abuse/Harassment Office. The Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office does not issue HROs. All HROs are issued through District Court.

General information

Victims of harassment may seek an HRO, also known as a restraining order, from the court. According to Minnesota Statutes §609.748, the definition of harassment includes a "single incident of physical or sexual assault or repeated incidents of intrusive or unwanted acts, words, or gestures that have a substantial adverse effect or are intended to have a substantial adverse effect on the safety, security, or privacy of another, regardless of the relationship between the actor and the intended target."

If this definition of harassment is to be used as the basis for a harassment order, the petitioner must also allege "an immediate and present danger of harassment before the court." The court may issue a temporary restraining order prior to the hearing.

In any harassment case, incidents should be reported to law enforcement. Call 9-1-1 and an deputy/officer will take a report. However, it is not necessary to have filed a police report in order to file a petition for an HRO.

To obtain an HRO in Ramsey County, contact the Ramsey County Domestic Abuse/Harassment Office for an appointment.