Water Patrol - Special Permits

Contact us

Special Event Permits

If holding an event on Ramsey County lakes or rivers that will draw spectators or may interfere with others who use the water, a Special Event Permit is required. Minnesota Statue Statute 86B.121 requires an event holder to obtain a Sheriff’s Special Event Permit prior to holding an event on any body of water. In Ramsey County, the Sheriff’s Water Patrol Unit issues these permits.

An event is defined as: "A gathering of persons engaged in (organized) activities on waters of the state or public property adjacent to those waters that, in the Sheriff’s opinion, would have an impact on public safety or natural resources." Some, but not all examples of events that require a permit include fishing contests (both winter and summer), boat races and regattas, festivals (such as golfing on ice), or water ski or parasail exhibitions.

Application for Permit to Conduct Water Exhibition and Placement of Structures in the Lakes that are related to the Exhibition. This also includes Triathlon Permit Guidelines, and Open Water Swim events.

Temporary Structure Permits and Regulations

If planning to place a structure in or on a lake or river (other than a dock), a Temporary Structure Permit is required.The most common types of structures include the following (regulations are contained within the PDF):

Watercraft Inspections

Sales & Rental

People who provide all watercraft for rent must provide a summary of the personal watercraft laws and instruction for the safe operation of the craft. PWC dealers and rental operations are required to keep a signature record of people who buy or rent PWCs, acknowledging they have been provided a copy of the PWC laws and rules. People under the age of 18 who rent PWCs must show their watercraft operator’s permit before renting a PWC and the rental agency must record this information on the signature record. Rental operators must also supply a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket to everyone who rents a PWC as well as all other required safety equipment (fire extinguisher, etc.) at no additional charge.

In addition, those renting watercraft under Minnesota State Statute 84D.108 sub 2, all Service Providers must complete invasive species training provided by the commissioner and pass an examination to qualify for a permit. Service provider permits are valid for three calendar years. This permit must be obtained prior to any inspection being completed by the Sheriff’s Office. The Sheriff’s Office will only inspect watercraft whose business address resides in Ramsey County.

Submitting Completed Forms

Once you complete filling out your application or form please submit it via e-mail to [email protected]