Emergency Assistance

Contact us
Alert symbol on red background

COVID-19 update

The Government Center East Building is closed for in-person appointments. For the limited situations where it is not possible for a resident to interact with staff via telephone or online, Financial Assistance Services staff are available at the Service Centers.

Call the Emergency Assistance hotline at 651-266-4884 for application help, questions about eligibility or to find out the status of your application.

COVID-19 information and resources

COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance

Are you a renter who is having difficulty paying rent or utilities due to COVID-19? 

Ramsey County and the City of Saint Paul have teamed up to create the Saint Paul - Ramsey County Rent Assistance Program, a new tenant assistance program for Ramsey County renters struggling to pay rent due to the financial burdens of COVID-19. Eligible renters include households that earned 80% or less of area median income in 2020, or in the most recent month.

Ramsey County Navigators can walk you through the application step-by-step in person or over the phone. Call 651-266-0600 or visit a Service Center.

Apply for Saint Paul - Ramsey County Rent Assistance Program

Please reach out to any of our Field Navigator Partners listed below for more details and questions about the new Saint Paul - Ramsey County Rent Assistance Program. These organizations are available to explain the program’s rules and requirements, help you with the application and required documents, and may follow up with the status of your application.

Field Navigators 

Comunidades Latinas Unidas En Servcio (CLUES)
Rapid Response Hotline: 651-362-0162
[email protected]

Hmong American Partnership (HAP)
Mai Nhia Lor, Program Manager
[email protected]

Latino Economic Development Center (LEDC)
Heidi Jimenez
[email protected]

McLemore Holdings
[email protected] (general questions) 

Program Administrator
Community Action Partnership of Ramsey & Washington Counties is responsible for processing all applications and may contact renters for more information or to request documents. They can be reached at  651-999-5737 or [email protected]

Other Emergency Assistance

Need assistance due to circumstances other than COVID-19?

Emergency Assistance (EA) and Emergency General Assistance (EGA) help with shelter, such as a security deposit or past due rent/mortgage. EA and EGA also help pay for utilities, when there is threat of disconnection. Utilities include electricity, heat and water.

  • Emergency Assistance helps adults with children, and pregnant women. Those who qualify for Emergency Assistance can receive up to two months payment for their share of rent/mortgage and up to $1,800 in utility assistance.
  • Emergency General Assistance helps adults without children. Those who qualify for Emergency General Assistance can receive up to two month's payment for their share of rent/mortgage or utilities, or a combined payment of up to $812.

Assistance eligibility

You may be eligible if:

  • You have not received EA/EGA help in the last 12 months.
  • Your income is less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guideline for household size. 
  • You you do not have enough resources to resolve your crisis.
  • You can show you have enough income to pay bills moving forward.

Apply for emergency help

  • If you ARE NOT already receiving public assistance, or your case closed more than 30 days ago, you can apply for EA/EGA online at mnbenefits.mn.gov or by calling the Intake Hotline at 651-266-4444. You can also request a “Combined Application” from the Intake Hotline and email your application to [email protected].
  • If you ARE receiving public assistance through Ramsey County and have an open case (SNAP, healthcare, or cash assistance), fill out the application and email it to: [email protected] or fax to 651-266-3909. You may also call your caseworker or the Emergency Assistance Hotline at 651-266-4884 to apply.

EA/EGA application for those with open assistance cases